BBC News – US unveils sharp curbs on coal power plants: risks to health, communities and the economy
Dear Mr. President:
Do not, under any circumstances, attack Syria.
Your message sent out as an email following your speech on Syria contains several misstatements of fact:
1) “…we have resisted calls for military action because we cannot resolve someone else’s civil war through force.” This statement is the heighth of hypocrisy. The American CIA has armed and trained opposition soldiers in Jordan and sent them into Syria to fight against the Assad government. This is unauthorized military action akin to President Reagan’s illegal arming of the Contras in Nicaragua.
2) Your administration has failed to provide any evidence to back up the claim that the Assad government launched chemical weapons against opposition forces. Furthermore, you have ignored evidence that the chemical weapons incident was initiated by opposition forces funded and supplied by Saudi Arabia’s intelligence chief Prince Bandar bin Sultan Al Saud.
3) Syria provides no more threat to the security of the United States than does Israel, which possesses chemical and nuclear weapons and the capability to deliver them throughout the Middle East. We send billions of dollars of “aid” (read, military arms) to Israel in response to intensive lobbying by pro-Israeli organizations in the United States. The true intent of American involvement is to destabilize Syria in order to isolate and threaten Iran, the last in the chain of anti-Israeli countries in the Middle East.
Mr. President, democracy does not consist of “Americans stand[ing] together as one people.” Democracy is rule by the people, not by a President who takes the powers of war-making away from them.
Stop the war propaganda. Stop the saber rattling. Withdraw from the eastern Mediterranean and start working, as a statesman rather than a tyrant, to bring peace to the Middle East.
Now that the Oval One II has politely asked Congress for permission to turn loose his Navy on Syria (prepositioned in the eastern Med before the alleged chemical weapons attack), it’s time for his handlers to unleash the next militaristic adventure: the propaganda war against the American people.
Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman wrote a book called Manufacturing Consent: the Political Economy of Mass Media, in which they detailed how national and international news is structured, controlled and packaged by elite economic and political players in favor of their preferred outcomes.
Even though each and every national poll reveals that the American people, and most of the rest of the world, are overwhelmingly opposed to a unilateral military attack on Syria by the United States government, the Powers That Be (PTB) manufacturing the Emperor’s New Outfit are spinning their cloth made up of the warp of disinformation and the woof of lies. PTB designers are busy crafting the new look, PTB word-weavers are spinning their threads and shaping their cloths of headlines, sound bites and peurile pundit prevarications.
Soon the full suit of clothes of the New Look will be revealed as the Oval One II parades down the media runway, to the pliant applause of the terminally entrenched. Critics will acclaim the New Look. The punditocracy will adopt the New Style. Congress will adopt and defend the Emperor’s taste in haberdashery.
Maybe, if we’re very lucky, despite the glare of the stage lights and the blare of the band, those with eyes to see and ears to hear, if there be any left, will note the true transparency of the new garments.
From this article:
Syria “Wag the Dog”. Towards a Major Mideast War? | Global Research
1) “According to Israeli on-line intel news Debkafile, several days before the chemical attack in Damascus hundreds of armed rebels crossed over into Syria from a newly established CIA base in Jordan. The rebels were led by US commanders.” They were trained and armed by the US CIA
2) “Centcom, the US military command for the Middle East, has established a new underground war room near Amman, Jordan, for the purpose of commanding Syrian operations. Recently, General Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, visited Amman to inaugurate the new forward command center.”
This is the second step in the decades-old Neocon plan for a ring of “regime-changed” countries around Israel, protecting the US Empire’s forward bastion in the Middle East and monopolizing access to Mideast oil.
Don’t be fooled by the Oval One II, any “limited” attack on Syria will be only the first step in a protracted imperialist war by the United States in the Middle east. The plan is to sear Syria seriously, kick Assad aside, erase Iran and consolidate Middle East oil resources for the United States and its favored minion states.
This could well represent the beginning of the ultimate end of the US Empire, as the US government overextends its military in the Middle east quagmire. “Shock and Awe” only works once, if it works at all. Ultimately the US government must commit money, men and materiel to subdue and maintain its imperium. Meanwhile, economic and social conditions will continue to deteriorate at home, requiring ever more surveillance, oppression, restrictions on civil rights, ignoring and shredding the Constitution of the Unted States of America, if there is anything left after the Patriot Act.
Oligarchs and tyrants have never been much on history. While history doesn’t repeat itself, it often rhymes. The Arabic name for the area now occupied by Syria is “al-Sham.” One may as well call it “Roobi-kahn.”
Wait a minute! Since when did we start training and arming one side in a civil war in a sovereign nation, and send them into battle from another country?
Oh wait. Contras, Nicaragua, Ronald Reagan. Iran/Contra.
Oh yeah, I forgot.
Ronald Reagan got into trouble while he slept through the Iran/Contra affair, supplying arms and training to the Contras.
So this is all right now? This is official United States government policy?
I wondered what all that shredded parchment was on the Oval Office floor.
The above quote from I.F. Stone demonstrates that nothing has changed when it comes to the central state. Here’s the story you won’t see in the headlines of your corporate newspaper, nor in glowing phosphors on your TeeVee screen:
The United States government deliberately mislead and propagandized the people of the United States and the world, setting up a smoke screen of lies that was dutifully spread and amplified by the lapdog press. Where are the screaming headlines announcing the “revised” versions of events now touted by the government?
This is no “fog of war.” This is deliberate misinformation, disseminated knowing full well that the real story, when revealed, would never have the impact of the lies initially told.
Governments always lie.
The Nobel Peace Prize has been rendered meaningless with its presumptive award to US President Barak Obama, who has clearly demonstrated a dedication to the imperialist policies of his predecessor, George II.
The current regime continues to expand arms sales to African nations, ostensibly to stop Al Qa’ida expansion. However, one cannot expect the locals to use their new weapons only on the “enemies of my friends.” More guns and ammunition means more indiscriminate killing for purposes having nothing to do with US pretensions of empire.
The only way to stop war is to stop the obscene corporate profits in international arms sales to every local thug who’s embezzled a few million dollars from the neighbors. The United States government places private profit above any and all moral principles and standards of decency, and backs up its support of business interests with clandestine intervention and outright military incursion. The almighty dollar walks loudly across the earth, carrying the big stick of violence.
Rather than awarding the Nobel Peace Prize to anyone, withhold it indefinitely, until peace, at long last, prevails.